Mold is found everywhere in our environment and most of the time is unseen to the human eye. Mold needs these conditions before it can begin to grow in a home:
  • Mold spores
  • A food source (eg wood, drywall, cotton)
  • Darkness (mold can't grow under ultraviolet light)
  • Warmth (mold can't grow in freezing temperatures)
  • Oxygen
  • Moisture (eg water leaks, humidity)
  • Enough time (most molds can begin to grow in 24-48 hours if the conditions are right)
Moisture is really the key cause of mold growth since the other conditions on the list are always going to be present in homes. So, essentially, the difference between whether mold grows in your home or not comes down to whether you have a moisture problem. (Click here to learn more about what causes mold to grow.)
  1. Everyone reacts to mold different, certain people have more of a sensitivity to mold than others; so this question all depends on the individual person.
Out of the several hundred thousand species of molds, there are about 16 different species which are known as toxic molds because they can release mycotoxins which are toxic to humans and animals. One of the more harmful molds is “Stachybotrys” or “Toxic Black Mold” – this type of mold should not be present in any living space. (Click here to learn more about Toxic Black Mold.)
  1. It does not take much time at all for mold to grow. Once given the proper conditions mentioned above (any organic material, a water source and lack of air flow), it can grow as quickly as 24 hours.
IBX Services offers you emergency services to help remove water from your home and clean up the mess before it turns into mold or other problems. After rainfalls, make sure to check your home for any leaks so that you can catch issues before they become huge issues. At the first sign of water damage, give us a call and we'll be there to help you out.  (Click here to learn more about how fast mold can grow.)
Mold is detectable by smell and signs of water damage on walls or ceiling, and can grow in places invisible to the human eye. It may be found behind wallpaper or paneling, on the inside of ceiling tiles, the back of drywall, or the underside of carpets or carpet padding. Piping in walls may also be a source of mold, since they may leak (causing moisture and condensation). Mold is normally found indoors at levels which do not affect most healthy individuals. The issue lies when the mold spores inside our living environment become higher than that to what it is our environment. High elevations of mold can cause it to start growing and have health affects to ones body.
A. Some molds are safe for you to remove yourself but it is best to consult a mold removal specialist first; the last thing you want is to cross contaminate your home with mold spores. Once mold has been disturbed it becomes airborne and can travel throughout other area’s of your home. (Click here to learn more about which Molds are safe for you to remove.)
A. Hiring the right company is extremely important when it comes to safe mold removal. The company must be certified and trained with the knowledge and experience as well as insured. At IBX Services, we have dedicated staff that work around the clock you can help identify whether an inspection is necessary or it is safe for you to clean yourself. All our technicians are certified and training and follow all industry guidelines when it comes to safe mold removal. (Click here to learn why your should choose an IICRC Certified Firm to remove mold.)