If your car is partially or fully submerged in floodwater, IBX Services as a restoration company recommends following this checklist for assessing flood damage afterward. It is known that flood damage means extensive damage and expensive repairs. Below are some methods, what to do after the waters recede.
Car Flood Damage Checklist
Survey potential damage.
Note the depth of the floodwaters in relation to your car. It’s essential to avoid starting a flooded car. If you start a flooded car will cause more damage if there is water in the engine.
Submersion of a vehicle in salt water — which is more damaging than freshwater — makes the chances of corrosion much higher. Make a quick action by start drying out your vehicle as quickly as possible, and contact a towing service to get it back to higher ground. Don’t forget, oil, transmission fluid, and lube may need draining before a tow.
You should file a Claim
Making a file for your insurance company along with a qualified mechanic will help you uncover how extensive the problems caused by flood damage may be. They will do some inspections like:
- Check the oil dipstick – They will look if there have any water droplets, which likely indicate that there is water in your engine. If there have water, the cylinders, which are supposed to compress air instead of water, will be busted.
- After that, they will remove water-damaged cylinders and check for corroded spots.
- Changing the oil and transmission fluid – If the car is not totalled, you’ll want to do this again after the car is in good condition and you’ve been driving it for several hundred miles.
- Check the interior – If the flood damage were more than a few feet deep, the water probably made it to the inside of your car.
- Removing all the moisture – IBX Services team can help you with the moisture by using a wet/dry vacuum to collect standing water in your vehicle, cloth towels to absorb water that has soaked into the car. We will use fans and dehumidifiers to accelerate the drying process.
- Check electrical components, the fuel tank, and the line – The mechanic will check and if is necessary will replace electrical components. You can use a siphon pump to remove some fuel, in order to see if the water is present. If water is found in the fuel (which would naturally separate from the fuel), you have to empty the fuel tank completely.
Find a Partner
Once the extent of your car’s flood damage is determined, IBX Services will take care of its restoration. If your car has been fully submerged underwater, your insurance company will weigh the costs to repair the vehicle against the cost of replacing it.
Anyway, calling a flood damage restoration company is essential, to protect your life firstly and your car too. Call us today at +1-416-252-5959!
IBX Services is a full-services company for any kind of emergency service. What it means is that we offer the full scale of solutions needed for complete emergency services, cleaning and disinfection services, and commercial services too. From identifying the cause of the problem to fixing any design flaws in the affected areas, and the prevention of further and sealing to rigorous testing to detect any other indirect problem, we strive to be a leader in the emergency services solutions industry.