Water damage or flooding is more and more common. This is one of the reasons why house insurance estimates are what they are nowadays. Some times weather can be furious and fickle. This may cause water damage or flooding. But now you can minimize the chance that your home will endanger taking precautions before a water damage possibility.
Tips to reduce water damage from a flood: outside the house
Here are some tips prepared to help you avoid, or at least reduce flood damage:
- Be sure that water can culvert away from your basement walls and all your area.
- Try to repair, where achievable, sidewalks, decks, patios and driveways that may have shifted over the years, allowing water to pool close to the house.
- To minimize erosion, landscape with plants and vegetation your yard and garden too.
- In the winter, clear snow away from the house’s foundation.
- Ensure that you have bought the window well covers so that water does not accumulate.
- Be sure that your downspouts extend three to six feet, and peter out in a direction away from your house as well as your neighbour’s.
- Also can use a rain cask to catch drainage.
- Should systematically clean and maintain your eavestroughs and culvert so that they’re not blocked.
- Keep storm drains near your house clear of leaves and debris.
- Repair or replace your roof if shingles are degrading or removed.
- Another thing you can do is to take a plumber to be sure that the foundation drain is in good working order.
Tips to reduce water damage from a flood: inside the house
There are also some tips that you can take inside the house to decrease the possibility of water damage happening to you.
- When the plumber comes to check the weeping tile, he also has to check the sumps-pit and sump pump too (if you have one) to be sure that they’re working rightly.
- Do not forget to ask your plumber about installing a backwater valve. It’s a device that prevents water and sewage from coming back into the house during water damage.
- You can put water leak sensors and alarms that alert you in cases that have leaks of water inside the house.
- Try to keep your flood drains clear of blockage.
- Keep valuables and important papers in the basement, store them upstairs where they are less likely to risk.
- Be sure that you don’t have poured fats down your drains. They may solidify and blocked the pipes.
- During heavy rainfalls, reduce your house water use.
IBX Services is a full-services company for any kind of emergency service. What it means is that we offer the full scale of solutions needed for complete emergency services, cleaning and disinfection services, and commercial services too. From identifying the cause of the problem to fixing any design flaws in the affected areas, and the prevention of further and sealing to rigorous testing to detect any other indirect problem, we strive to be a leader in the emergency services solutions industry.