Below you will find the different types of mold and how they affect your home and health.
Mold growth in a home causes an undesirable smell, health issues, and damage to the property. Mould eats away at the walls and ceilings of a home. It can also damage the foundation of a home and the HVAC systems. If you suspect mold growth in your home, do not ignore the signs.
The following is a list of the top five most common household mold growths:
- Penicillium is the most common type of mold found in homes; it is blue or green in color and fuzzy in texture. This mold is used to make penicillin in a laboratory setting, which should warn you of its potency. Penicillium is often found in walls, wallpaper, wet carpets, and old furniture. It can cause allergic reactions, sinus infections, and lung complications.
- Alternaria is an outdoor allergen primarily found outdoors in soil and plants, but it enters homes through open windows and doors. It looks like black spots on leaves or vegetables. It may cause asthma and allergic reactions in some people.
- Aspergillus is often found in heating and air conditioning systems. It may cause respiratory issues and infections and a disease called aspergillosis, an infection of the lungs.
- Cladosporium is a leaf mold which is commonly found under bathrooms sinks and around the ceilings and walls of bathtubs and showers, as a result of all of the steam from the shower. The color is olive green/black, and it can trigger asthma attacks, a runny nose, and itchy eyes.
- Stachybotrys is a toxic black mold that is greenish-black in color and slimy or powdery in texture. It grows in moist areas such as leaking pipes. It can cause respiratory problems, hemorrhaging of the lungs, mental impairment, nausea, fatigue, and other serious illnesses.
Some people are more sensitive than others to the presence of mold. Your home may have mold growth even if you don’t notice it. Call Secure Restoration to remove hazardous mold in your home, do not take the risk of living with possible life-threatening mold growth in your home!