mold dries out

Over the years many rumors have been made about dry mold. Some people believe that mold dies easily and is not harmful, while others believe the opposite. While mold spores cannot grow in the absence of moisture, they will become active once they come into contact with water once more and begin to grow. 

Mold and mildew can harm carpets, tiles, walls, and other surfaces throughout the house in addition to causing a variety of health problems. Numerous studies also demonstrate that exposure to mold spores can result in allergic reactions that range from both pathogenic to toxigenic, even though every person reacts to mold exposure differently.

What is required for mold to grow?

1. Moisture

Moisture can come from a variety of places in our house. Finding the source of a problem is the first step in solving it. For instance, if you don’t fix a leaky pipe under your house, moisture will still occur even after you replace the wet walls. One of the first things you should do after a flood is to dry out your home so that mold doesn’t begin to grow.

2. Oxygen

Oxygen is another thing that mold requires to grow. Unfortunately, there isn’t much you can do to keep oxygen from entering your home. But you must understand that oxygen can pass through even the smallest openings. Make sure the exterior of your home is completely sealed. This entails having excellent insulation to prevent any air from entering your walls, where mold can grow covertly.

3. Darkness 

Sunlight’s ultraviolet (UV) rays kill the majority of mold and its spores, which explains why you hardly ever see them growing outdoors. This implies that you should look for them in all dark crevices and crevices where mold might be hiding.

4. Warmth

Warmth is the last thing that mold needs to thrive. This merely signifies temperatures above freezing, which explains why mold may grow in your refrigerator but not in your freezer unless the latter is malfunctioning.

Mold grows best at temperatures above 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Mold can grow in your home year-round because the temperature should always be higher than 60 degrees.

Does mold die if it dries out?

At the moment mold dries out then it automatically becomes inactive. But can mold die? Unfortunately, this does not mean that due to their inactivity they are not able to cause allergic reactions such as runny nose, itchy eyes skin rashes, coughing, sneezing or other uncomfortable symptoms in humans.

Dry mold spores are also very light and can easily be spread through the air. This has the potential to spread and contaminate other areas of your house very quickly. Therefore, allowing mold spores to dry out without cleaning or removing them is never a good mold problem solution.

According to the size of mold contamination, the best way to get rid of this situation is by contacting mold remediation experts for safe removals.

Is mold growth possible to occur without moisture?

Since its spores require oxygen and heat to grow, mold must have moisture to flourish. Therefore, the answer is yes. However, various mold species require various levels of moisture. Some mold spores can even survive in the desert with very little amount of water. Always dry wet or moist materials and surfaces if you want to prevent serious mold issues.

In general, the fungus needs water to grow but not to survive and this is a factor that people do not take into consideration. If it will no longer have access to a water supply then mold spores will certainly go to sleep and will remain dormant for a long period. As a result, you should no longer have any doubt if mold dies or not.

Moreover, people tend to think that mold can be harmless if you do not touch or eat it. Their microscopic size helps them to easily enter our lungs when inhaled. As a result, a variety of risky health problems such as respiratory problems, allergic reactions, fatigue, headaches, and mental confusion are definitely going to occur.

Is it good to remove dry mold? 

Removing mold can be the best thing you can do if you want to continue living in a healthy environment. Mold spores are quite common, and while some of them can be easily removed during routine house cleaning, many will continue to grow in damp, dark places like behind walls or the crevices of your home. Moreover, it is necessary to physically remove any fungus spores.

Call IBX Services at (416) 252-5959 for certified mold inspection, mold remediation services and mold testing.


Call Us Now

(416) 252-5959


690 Garyray Dr, Toronto, M9L 1R3, Canada

Follow us on:
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin