IBX Services is pleased to provide you with this consumer information about water damage restoration and how to choose a water damage restoration company.
Water Damage Restoration & Insurance
Under the law, it is your right to determine what company will perform work in your home or business. Some insurance carriers have “preferred contractors” that they recommend, who have agreements with the insurance companies to handle water losses in a certain manner, and at pre-determined prices.
Water damage restoration is something that must be dealt with quickly and effectively. Preventing the presence of mould is one of many concerns for those who have suffered from a water damage event, but it should not be the only, or primary concern. In fact, people have so many misconceptions about water damage and the potential for mould growth, that we decided to offer this consumer education message. When you need to select a water damage restoration company, you can make an informed intelligent decision.
Here are the steps you can take immediately following a water damage event to help minimize secondary damage, as well as precautions that should be taken during water damage restoration to protect your health and safety.
Water damage restoration is a specialized field requiring special protective measures, specialized equipment, and testing capabilities, as well as certain engineering controls to protect you and your property. Most restoration contractors know how to perform simple drying and site clean up. Experienced companies, such as IBX Services, know how to provide restoration services that protect not only the structure but also you and your family’s health.
Below are the most important steps that you can take to reduce the damages and protect your family:
- The first thing to do is to eliminate the source of water, if possible, or contact appropriate parties to eliminate the water source or to make necessary repairs.
- If there is no risk of electrical shock, it’s recommended to turn off circuit breakers supplying electricity to wet areas; unplug and remove any small electrical devices currently located on wet floor coverings or other wet surfaces.
- Remove all the small furniture items to reduce rust or other stains and expedite restoration.
- Place aluminum foil under the legs of wood furniture, especially antiques that might permanently stain the carpet.
- Hang draperies and pin up furniture skirts to prevent contact with wet floor coverings as well as minimize damage such as watermarks, browning, dye transfer or migration.
- Remove books, shoes, paper goods, fabrics, potted plants or other items that might stain the carpet (check especially under beds and in closets for these items).
- Remove and secure breakables, moisture-sensitive, or high-value items.
- Be aware that time is a crucial factor, and delays in loss mitigation and restoration might result in adverse health and safety effects as well as additional damage to the structure and contents.
Types Of Water Damage
There are different types of water damage. The Institute of Inspection Cleaning and Restoration (IICRC) document categorizes the three types of water damage as Clean Water Damage, Gray Water Damage, and Black Water Damage.
Clean Water Damage (Category 1)
Clean water damage is that in which the source of the water is from a clean water source, such as a plumbing supply line, or that wet structure has not “become” contaminated.
Gray Water Damage (Category 2)
Gray water damage is that in which the source of the water may contain chemicals or other contaminants that could cause discomfort or sickness to the occupants. Clean water damage can become gray water damage if left too long before appropriate drying efforts are implemented.
Black Water Damage (Category 3)
Blackwater contains pathogenic agents and is grossly unsanitary. Gray water that is not removed promptly is appropriately re-classified as black water damage.
IBX Services is a full-services company for any kind of emergency service. What it means is that we offer the full scale of solutions needed for complete emergency services, cleaning and disinfection services, and commercial services too. From identifying the cause of the problem to fixing any design flaws in the affected areas, and the prevention of further and sealing to rigorous testing to detect any other indirect problem, we strive to be a leader in the emergency services solutions industry.
Water damage restoration has to do as soon as possible. In that way, you can reduce other problems such as mould or moisture. IBX Services is always ready to help you. Call us at +1-416-252-5959!